I tuck in my shirts. Like, I tuck them in 90% of the time. So, a bodysuit seemed like the answer to all my problems. I’ve been dabbling in sewing underwear, and I made a swim suit, so a bodysuit didn’t seem far off. I bought the pattern and fabric at Joann Fabrics last fall, and I finally got around to it. Part of the delay, was watching others on Instagram struggle with this pattern. I’m no exception, but I’ll show you what to keep an eye out for.
First up: the pattern. This pattern is Simplicity 8513. I like this bodysuit because it was not a thong. Another one I was considering was Madalynne X Simplicity 8435 which Madalynne sells kits for this bodysuit that are very cute. I may by trying that next, but frankly I’m not sure where to get my hands on the pattern right now. I didn’t see it on the Madalynne or Simplicity websites.
The biggest critique of this pattern is the armhole. See below. I believe this has to do with the armhole being drafted as if for woven fabrics so it doesn’t sit snug to your armpit.
So, I would highly recommend making a muslin and checking the arm if you are to make this pattern! With that said, I made a size medium with NO alterations to the body, and the body fit amazing! That is practically unheard of since my hips are two sizes larger than my waist. The bottom fit nicely around my rump and the body was long enough.
My second concern (not really an “issue”) is the lining for this bodysuit. The person who drafted it opted for a partial lining. The lining is great since the very deep v-neck on this pattern doesn’t allow for a bra. Though, you can put a camisole underneath, and it still looks cute. However, the partial lining bothers me since it stops right around the waist and there is no fantastic way to tack it down. What I did do, was tack it at the side and back seam, but it is still shifting around more than I would like. I think just lining the whole bodysuit would be a better solution.
The instructions also don’t mention to finish the raw edge on the bottom of the lining. This is knit so it should be fine, but I hate to leave an edge raw, it seems unfinished and unprofessional feeling to me. If you opt to finish, I suggest doing so right after you construct the lining piece. Remember to finish the raw edge of the crotch lining because the pattern won’t instruct on that either.
Last, I think it is a huge negligence for the pattern to not specify stabilizing the crotch connection points! I got so excited to finish that I didn’t even thing about it and the result were a bummer… I am going to have to redo the bottom entirely, but thankfully I have some extra crotch length and room to do so. I suggest twill tape to finish the raw edge and attaching the snaps to that. Also, sew on snaps. I moronically use the kind that go through the fabric. I think if you use the twill tape and sew on snaps, you should be good.
Overall, I like this pattern. I don’t think the fixes will be hard to make and I love the views. I also like that it isn’t a thong, but I know that is personal preference. It would be pretty easy to alter it to be one if you wanted. Focus on the armhole and stabilize the crotch, and you’ll be alright.
P.S. if I can squeeze one more tip in here at the end, this is it: for this view (view A), I recommend tacking the tie in place, particularly at the bottom. It is seeming to like to spread wider and wider until it’s almost indecently wide. I think just a couple stitches at the bottom two sets of loops would hold the tie from loosening at the bottom just fine. 😉